Christmas 2023 is almost here. It’s time for a last minute gift scrabble for the chef – or home cooker – in your life. While some ready to wave goodbye to the year, it has been a year of innovation, community, and for some – the year they launched a food business!
With the number of takeaways and home food orders skyrocketing, 2023 was the perfect time to get a food business idea up and running. But, before we say au revoir to another year, we get to enjoy the spirit of Christmas, and it’s time to treat the chefs in your life.
For foodie friends, start-up owners, seasoned professionals or enthusiastic home cooks with a dream of starting a food business, our holiday guide of cooking gift ideas has something for every food lover.
From kitchen gadgets and tasty treats to budget-friendly and high-end tech, here’s a dose of inspiration for Christmas gifts for home chefs.
Authentic Ramen Bowl Set
There’s nothing quite like tucking into a belly-warming bowl of Japanese ramen, especially on a winter’s night. But, there’s only one way to enjoy it, and that’s from an authentic Japanese Ramen Bowl.
Buying a set complete with a deep ramen bowl and a bamboo ladle is the perfect gift for friends or family members who like to get adventurous with their Asian home cooking. Japan is infamous for stunning cookware, so even when the ramen bowls aren’t in use, they will make a stunning statement piece in any commercial kitchen space.
Enjoy a taste of Japan with these ramen bowl sets:
- Two bamboo ramen ladles
- Two glazed ceramic karasuba-iro ramen bowls
- Sous chef ramen recipes with tasty dishes for newbies or experts
Made in Japan Navy & Sakura Ramen Set
- Navy blue bowls, painted with pink sakura blossom
- Two ceramic bowls
- Two sets of chopsticks
- Traditional Japanese seikaiha design; blue sea and waves
- Two ceramic noodle bowls
- Two wooden ladle
- Two chopsticks and two chopstick holders
Ask any foodie fanatic what their favourite cuisines are, and Italian will likely be in their top 3.
While pasta is a relatively simple concept in terms of ingredients, nailing the technique and the rolling and shaping of pasta can be tricky – not with a pasta maker!
Help your loved one finesse their fettuccine and smash out some spaghetti with these gadgets.
Enjoy a taste of Italy
- Anodised aluminium rollers
- Built-in attachments for 3 pasta shapes
- Additional attachments and accessories are available
- Available in 7 colours
KitchenAid Pasta Sheet Roller and Cutter
- Dial to choose the thickness of your pasta
- 3 piece set – fettuccine cutter, spaghetti cutter & pasta roller
- Includes cleaning brush
- 8 thickness settings
- Makes lasagne, tagliatelle, spaghetti and linguine
- Double-geared for consistency
Not only are leather aprons incredibly stylish and comfortable, but they are also designed and lovingly crafted to last a lifetime. Whether the chef in your life is an amateur home cook or works in a professional commercial kitchen, a high-quality leather apron is an exquisite gift they can cherish for the rest of their time at the grill.
Dephna’s favourite handcrafted leather aprons:
- Adjustable hip strap with buckle
- Leather towel holder
- Option to engrave your logo
- 6 stunning colour options
- £139.99 incl. VAT
- Choice of neck or cross-back straps
- A choice of 3 pocket layout designs – with interior pen pocket
- 7 gorgeous colour options
- Complimentary embossing
- Reinforced double leather layers at rivet points
- Waist apron
- Large front centre pocket
- Detachable belt buckle hup fastening
- 2 stunning brown colour options
- £72 incl. VAT
Pestle and Mortar
A pestle and mortar is an ancient cooking tool that no dark kitchen – or home kitchen – should be without. From making pesto, crushing black peppercorns to concocting homemade salts, a mortar and pestle really is an understated kitchen tool!
Here are some crushingly good options:
- Made from robust granite
- Traditional Mexican pestle and mortar
- Craved from heavy basalt rock
- Marble interior
- Eye-catching design
Pot and Pan Sets
No chef, amateur or pro, will get very far in their craft without pots and pans, so why not gift them a high-quality set that will last them for countless years to come?
From ceramic, stainless steel or copper, there are many pan sets on the market. But, the one common feature that you should look for is non-stick!
Sizzling hot pots and pans sets:
- Thermolon Infinity Pro ceramic non-stick coating
- 3 casserole with lids – 3 different sizes
- 28cm frying pan
- 16cm saucepan
- 5 accessories
- Scandinavian-inspired design
- £192 (currently 20% off)
- Hi-low non-stick system
- 3 saucepans with tempered glass lids
- 14cm milkpan
- 25cm skillet
- Suitable for gas and induction hobs
Chef’s Knife Roll
Looking to treat a chef who’s constantly on the move? Knife rolls are there to ensure their impressive collection of knives is safe and organised when hopping from kitchen to kitchen – or kitchen to food stall – as well as looking uber stylish in the process!
If you’re shopping for the higher end of the budget for your Christmas gifts, knife rolls at the top end of the price spectrum can help to preserve the condition of their knives and keep the blade sharp, or even sharpen the blades further while in transit.
The practical solution contains internal pockets to house steels, whetstones, sharpeners or whatever else a chef might need to hand. Whether your beloved chef prefers leather, nylon or woven fabric, the market caters for all.
Here are our favourite knife rolls:
- Eight individual sections for knives, steels or small utensils
- Lightweight but durable
- Made from polyamide; easy to clean
- £46.99 excl. VAT
- Holds 11 knives
- Heavy duty and lockable bag
- Made from leather; durable and stylish
- £99.99 excl. VAT
- Classic design, made from canvas with brass buckles
- Waterproof and antifungal canvas
- Holds 17 knives
- £149.99 excl. VAT
Personalised Kitchen Accessories
There’s nothing quite like a personalised gift to show someone that you’re thinking of them. Gifts that you can personalise might not be anything out of the ordinary, and any chef is almost guaranteed to already own a chopping board, a luxury apron or a wooden spoon. HOWEVER, what they don’t have is one personalised with their name, a phrase that you both share or engraved with a special date or occasion.
Make it personal with these customised gifts:
- Features a fun, engraved, chef’s hat design
- Three options for personalisation
- Cheap and VERY cheerful gifting!
- Ethically sourced olive wood
- Every cutting board is completely unique
- Sizes from 20cm up tp 50cm
- Classy and minimalist design for those ‘less is more’ chefs
- Practical centre pocket with built-in pen pocket
- Adjustable buckle on the neckband to alter overall length
Have you got a gadget lover on your hands? This handheld smoker is bound to get them going!
A food smoker infuses food with a natural smoke flavour, and if a smokey cocktail is your thing, they work on drinks, too. Food smokers have varying techniques or methods to create that flavour we all know and love. Some require the chef at hand to feed it wood chips – or your own choice of combustible – while some smokers sit on the top of a BBQ grill. But one thing is for sure – the taste and aromas that are produced are delicious.
Check out some of our favourite food smokers currently on the market:
Ssssssssmokin’ Hot and Cold Food Smokers
- Allows you to smoke both hot and cold foods
- Built for outdoor use only
- Set contains smoker, chimney starter, smoke generator, apple & hickory wood chips and beech & cherry wood dust
- Flavour infuses in 1 to 3 minutes
- Handheld smoker for easy transport
- Smokes cold foods, drinks and sauces
- Cooks at the same time as it smokes
- Electric operation means no fumes and no fire propellants
- Cast aluminium base, non-stick surface, easily cleaned and dishwasher-safe
Get a Pizza the Action!
A personal favourite at Dephna HQ – the outdoor pizza oven!
Get the taste of your favourite pizzeria in the comfort of your own home garden. Get the taste of your favourite pizzeria in the comfort of your own home garden. Although you might not be divulging in one of Naples finest pizzas overlooking its historic harbour, we believe this experience is the next best thing… right?
From gas or traditional wood-fired, portable or static, there’s enough range in the world of pizza ovens to suit all cooking preferences and taste buds.
Dephna’s Top Pizza Picks
Flame Master Charcoal BBQ Pizza Oven
- Charcoal-powered oven
- Made of non-stick ceramic, for an authentic crispy finish and mess-free cooking
- Under £100!!
- Natural clay pizza oven with no painting or glazing
- Traditional wood-fired function with the fire directly in the oven
- Traditional dome shape
- Hardwood pellet fuelled; steady high heat and traditional wood fired flavour
- Cooks stone-baked pizzas in as little as 60 seconds
- Extremely light 10kg weight makes it ultra portable
Ask any chef across the world their favourite knives, and we guarantee at least one of those answers is a Japanese creation. They are highly regarded across the globe for their exceptional precision, fierce sharpness and most often than not with a stunning and intricate design to the blade and the handle. Japanese knives are traditionally very light and ergonomic, so not only do they slice beautifully, they’re extremely comfortable in the hand.
Our Pick of Japanese Knives
- Blade consists of 67 layers of Japanese damascus steel
- 8 inches long, 58-60 Rockwell hardness and 2.5mm thick blade
- Three part traditional Japanese construction
- Ergonomic Cocobolo Pakka wood handle for outstanding balance and comfort
- Honbazuke honed symmetrical edge for exceptional sharpness
- VG MAX steel core surrounded by 32 layers of Japanese Damascus steel
- Tarnish-proof pakkawood handle with a chestnut shape for comfort
- Japanese-made knife in a traditional Western chef’s knife shape